Thursday, May 26, 2011
Murfreesboro Art League Newsletter – May
If you have items at the MidSouth Bank show, we have to remove those on Friday. We have changed the time to 3 to 4:30, so we can keep the gallery open until then. If you cannot come between those times, please call Suzanne at 631-6346, so other arrangements can be made. Thank you so much for sharing your talents with others. We want to make Murfreesboro more of an “art” town.
A special thank you goes out to Clarice Nelson. Even though we worked on our iris paintings for a month, Clarice was the only one to take hers to the Iris Show on May 18th.
I know we put this part in last month, but it is SO important, and people have been lax about signing up. The gallery will be open on Fri from 10-3, Sat from 10-4 (2 separate shifts) and Sun from 1-4. We have nearly 70 members now, 42 are active adults. If EVERYONE would pull just 5 3-hour shifts between now and the end of Oct, it would make it much easier on the few who usually end up doing most of the shifts. If you are going to go paint on our “Fun Fridays,” please call Claire (615) 459-0943 so she can set up a schedule. This Sunday, we will discuss what direction we want the watercolor class to go, and talk about different techniques for making flowing water. We meet from 1-4 on Sun.
Sheila sent us a thank you note for helping out with Pioneer Days. It was a lot of fun. There were people dressed in period costumes, along with lots of food/product booths. Although the weather was cold, we had well over 100 visitors and sold some art!
We don’t have any shows for the summer. The Center for the Arts, Symphony, and MidSouth Bank will have shows in the fall.
If you want to put together an “artist’s statement,” Jeff Mayfield has taught a class on this before and has offered to share his expertise. This would be a great way to help promote your art. If someone comes into the gallery and likes your work, they can get an info sheet on you! Jeff can let you know what to include. firstname.lastname@example.org
Phyllis and Suzanne will be teaching children’s general art classes at the Sam Davis Home July 11-15, 8:30-12 (grades 5&6) and July 18-22, 8:30-12 (grades 7&8) and watercolor classes at Cannonsburgh July 25-29 (9-11 – grades 5&6, 1-3 – grades 7&8. If you know of any families with kids, please spread the word. All supplies will be provided. PRazo0503@aol.com for more info
Our June “Artist of the Month” at the Linebaugh library will be Heloise Shilstat. I hope she includes some of her torn paper works. Stop by to check it out in the lobby of the library!
We were lucky to have 3 guests at the biz mtg. Marilyn Brisbois, Paula Francis, and Carolyn Dodson spoke about TAL, the Nashville Art Crawl, Paula’s new gallery, the Rockvale Art Gallery (7.8 mi past Cason Ln on New Salem Rd), and the Tn Watercolor Society. Marilyn then showed a video on the art selection process and what they look for in a painting for their exhibition. We saw lots of fabulous art!
Upcoming classes: June is photography with Harry Polny, and July will be perspective with Clarice Nelson.
The gallery will be closed for Memorial Day and for the Blacksmith weekend on June 4 & 5.
If anyone is interested in helping with the future of Cannonsburgh, come to a “Friends of Cannonsburgh” meeting on June 2 at 10 am.
Important dates to remember:
· May 27 Remove MidSouth items
· May 30 Memorial Day, no mtg!
· June 2 – 10am Friends of Cannonsburgh mtg
· June 4 & 5 – gallery closed for Blacksmith weekend
· June 6, 13, &20 Photography class with Harry Polny
· June 27 Business meeting and Snack/share
· July 4 – NO meeting due to 4th of July
· July 11 & 18 – Perspective with Clarice Nelson.
· July 25 – biz mtg
Interesting stuff going on:
· Kids classes @ Sam Davis Home July 11-15, July 18-22 and @ Cannonsburgh July 25-29. SPREAD THE WORD.
· June 3&4 - ArtFusion music & arts festival at the factory in Franklin http://www.artscouncilwc.org/art_fusion_2011_event.html
· June 4 – Nashville Art Crawl http://www.nashvilledowntown.com/play/first-saturday-art-crawl
· Thru Sept 4 – Egyptian relics at the TN State Museum in Nashville http://www.tnmuseum.org/
· Cheekwood: end of Faberge eggs June 5, American Masters and Jiha Moon until June 19 http://www.cheekwood.org/Calendar/Events.aspx
· June 17-19 American Artisan Festival in Centennial Park http://www.american-artisan.com/
· Here’s a cool site that I found: http://festivalnet.com/state/tennessee/tn.html It tells about all the upcoming music, arts, etc festivals in the surrounding area.
Posted by MAL-Murfreesboro Art League