Sunday, April 28, 2019
Come join guest teacher Justyna Kostkowska as we learn about pastels. Please be sure to sign up on our "sign-up genius" to reserve your spot. (15 spaces available) Class is free for art league members, but $15 for the public. Supplies are not provided. Here is the link: https://www.signupgenius.com/
1. Pastel paper (2 pieces, Canson Pastel paper is good quality, any sanded paper is great)
2. Hard sturdy support backing the size of your paper or larger and a piece of Reynolds aluminum foil to make a gutter underneath to catch pastel dust. We work vertical in pastel so the excess falls down.
3. Plastic Tape or bulldog clips to attach paper to the backing.
4. SOFT artist pastels: around 30 piece set would be ideal, or at least a light and a dark in every color. Most sets contain medium value colors, so if you can, please purchase a few extreme darks and lights in addition if you are serious :) We will not use true black, which looks flat, so you need colors that are close to it and can do its work. I understand the cost factor, but a few quality pastels will make your experience and painting much higher quality, so I recommend SENNELIER brand HALF STICK which has nice 20 or 40 pcs sets at a decent price. You get twice the colors in half sticks and they are sturdy and do not crumble as much as full sticks. They are soft and buttery. If you already have hard pastels like Nupastels please bring those as they are useful for painting details such as grasses and fine tree branches.
5. Wet baby wipes.6. Old stiff brush for removing unwanted pastel.
Wednesday, April 24, 2019
It's that time again! We have a new newsletter: Find here information about upcoming events for May.
Murfreesboro Art League Newsletter
Members: Please sign up for volunteer slots. You should have received a link to the Google sheets. If you can’t get it to work, email Suzanne.
May: Pastels with Krystina –
Join Krystina Kostkowska, a visiting teacher, as she helps us explore and improve our pastel techniques. Supply list will be sent separately!
Artist of the month
Dorothy Stevens will be the Linebaugh Library’s artist of the month. Go by and check out the display.
Also, Showcase Artist in our gallery is Kylee Harrison. See it at the entrance to our gallery!
Thurman Francis Night of the Arts
TOMORROW! May 25 at 5 pm Set up will be at 4:30. We will show art and have a kids’ craft. So far, we have Phyllis, Suzanne and Robin. Contact Suzanne if interested in helping. More info will be mailed to those interested.
Center for the Arts show: Reception May 10!
We will need people to be at the reception! People like to talk to the artists! Please bring a snack item to share. This will be during a show intermission, so we should get a lot of visitors. BTW, Dorothy has already sold a painting from the show!
Do you want to show/sell your art? Pop-up art show – May 11
It will be by the library on Enon Springs Rd. from 9-noon. You are responsible for bringing your own tent/tables. It is free. You just come, show art, and hopefully sell something (if that is your goal!)
THANK YOU, Randy and Phyllis did a wonderful job teaching us about watercolors and framing during April.
REMEMBER: Gates for classes are open from 6:30-7 only. Please arrive early!
IMPORTANT NOTE: We will start our volunteer hours at the end of April. You are expected to work ONE or more 3 hour shifts to help keep our art league running.
2019 New slate of officers!!!
Kylee Harrison – President, Randy Richardson – Vice Pres., Phyllis Razo – Treasurer, Suzanne LeBeau – Secretary, Mark Jackson – Past Pres
Board members: Kathleen Phillips, Robyn Rainwater, Ted Stanley, and Dorothy Stevens
Dates to remember:
Events are at the art league building at the back of Cannonsburgh village unless otherwise noted!
· Apr 27 – Pioneer Days at Cannonsburgh, our first day open for spring
· Apr 29 Eatin’ Meetin’ 7 pm
· Apr 30 Cannonsburgh field trip
· May 5 – Cannonsburgh Field trip 10 am
· May 5 – Iris show (photography competition)
· May 6 Pastels with Justyna Kostkowska
· May 13 and 20 – open studio time
· May 10 – Reception at Center for the Arts (time??)
· May 10/11 Paint out at Oaklands
· May 11 – Pop up art show in Smyrna
· May 13 – Take Down Center for the Arts from 10-2.
· May 14 – Arts Alliance mtg at Cannonsburgh 4pm Lions Building
· May 15 field trip 9 am
· May 17 Cannonsburgh field trip 9 am
· May 27 Business meeting (all members welcome 7 pm
You are receiving this e-mail because you expressed an interest in MAL (Murfreesboro Art League.) If you wish to be removed from the mailing list, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.